[Coco] Software offer and Drive Pak solution

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 16 21:01:16 EDT 2010

On 17/09/2010 10:15 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> The Eclipse IDE is open, cross platform and designed to be extended in
> just about every way.  I don't know how far you've gone with the Phoenix
> project, but have you considered making a module for Eclipse rather than
> a whole new IDE?  There could be many benefits, including less work for
> you.

I suggested this a few days ago and was met with a resounding silence.

To me, perhaps in my ignorance, it sounds like Roger is simply re-writing a
cut-down version of Eclipse. I suspect it's more to do with him not being
familiar with Eclipse, rather than it not being capable of doing what
Phoenix can do. Eclipse was written specifically for this task, and there's
no shortage of professional development tools, all with compilers, editors
and debuggers, that are based on it.

Having said that, I'm forced to use Eclipse on a daily basis at the moment
and hate it with a passion. To be fair, that may be primarily the fault of
the integrated tools I'm using it with, but I find it slow, bloated,
confusing and ambiguous to configure, and buggy as hell. But that could just
be the tool-chain crashing?!?

In any case, I don't want to take anything away from Roger's efforts. Who
knows - one day Phoenix might knock Eclipse off its perch and we'll find it
bundled with PIC and ARM tools?

Regards,