[Coco] Software offer and Drive Pak solution

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 20:15:06 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Roger Taylor <operator at coco3.com> wrote:
> At 01:03 PM 9/16/2010, you wrote:
>

>> Roger, I applaud your efforts and service to the CoCo community. I'm not a
>> programmer
>> so have no right to gripe, so take this little rant with a grain of salt!
>>
>> I really hate all this stuff that uses Microsoft proprietary components
>> like the
>> .NET frame work and Visual Studio. The sole purpose it to make Windows a
>> requirement.
>> That's just playing dirty in this day and age, especially since Windows is
>> the
>> dominant OS anyway... they plan on forcing it to remain so.
>

> Using .NET and Windows wasn't my idea so you would have to buy Windows.  I
> wish that someone could clone or emulate the .NET system on other platforms
> and we'd be done with it.  My Portal-9 and Rainbow IDE will run under Wine
> in Linux which means someone went great lengths to emulate the Windows API.
>
> One thing I've noticed is that Visual Basic .NET (not to be confused with
> some sort of BASIC interpreter) and Java are similar.  Both are object
> oriented and can be translated to each other "easily".   This might mean
> that eventually someone could take my Pheonix IDE source code in VB.NET and
> come up with a Java version.  The sad thing about VB.NET is that the name

"Easily" is right...  they are similar enough that it's doable but
different enough that it would probably be a significant amount of
work.

The Eclipse IDE is open, cross platform and designed to be extended in
just about every way.  I don't know how far you've gone with the
Phoenix project, but have you considered making a module for Eclipse
rather than a whole new IDE?  There could be many benefits, including
less work for you.