[Coco] Software offer and Drive Pak solution

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Thu Sep 16 19:22:48 EDT 2010

At 01:03 PM 9/16/2010, you wrote:

>Roger, I applaud your efforts and service to the CoCo community. I'm
>not a programmer
>so have no right to gripe, so take this little rant with a grain of salt!
>
>I really hate all this stuff that uses Microsoft proprietary
>components like the
>.NET frame work and Visual Studio. The sole purpose it to make
>Windows a requirement.
>That's just playing dirty in this day and age, especially since Windows is the
>dominant OS anyway... they plan on forcing it to remain so.

Using .NET and Windows wasn't my idea so you would have to buy
Windows.  I wish that someone could clone or emulate the .NET system
on other platforms and we'd be done with it.  My Portal-9 and Rainbow
IDE will run under Wine in Linux which means someone went great
lengths to emulate the Windows API.

One thing I've noticed is that Visual Basic .NET (not to be confused
with some sort of BASIC interpreter) and Java are similar.  Both are
object oriented and can be translated to each other "easily".   This
might mean that eventually someone could take my Pheonix IDE source
code in VB.NET and come up with a Java version.  The sad thing about
VB.NET is that the name implies that it's some sort of BASIC compiler
that produces slow interpreted code which perhaps scares off a lot of
serious coders.  I'm getting optimized code and it runs faster than
the Rainbow IDE which is written in 100% assembly.  This is one of
the best programming languages I've dealth with and couldn't be more
pleased with the power.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5034904.html

http://www.beelucid.com/

--