[Coco] Software offer and Drive Pak solution

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 18:41:22 EDT 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, Frank Swygert wrote:

> I'm making an effort to get away from MS Windows for myself now that
> there is enough software out there for Linux, but I'm going to be
> running XP in Virtual Box for a short term solution for some programs I
> need that will take some work to convert from (mainly a mailing
> database). That's if they won't run under WINE, which many programs will
> do, such as PageMaker 6. I plan on buying a native Linux publishing
> package though -- PageStream. I'm not convinced the open source package,
> Scribus, is robust or supported enough to rely on for something I put
> out on a regular basis. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for
> supported software.

I feel exactly as you do.  I'll do anything to avoid applications or
environments that require Windows.  Drives me crazy that most of the USB
connected logic analyzers are supported almost solely by Windows software.
I'd love to have an Intronics unit, but I'm simply not willing to allocate
a machine for that purpose.

On a slightly off-topic note:  I purchased a small Behringer audio
recording console this week and was delighted to find that the Digital
Audio Workshop software accompanying it was supplied for Windows, MacOS
and Linux.  Nice!  Wish we saw more of that.

Steve