[Coco] Software offer and Drive Pak solution

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Sep 16 14:03:12 EDT 2010

Roger, I applaud your efforts and service to the CoCo community. I'm not a programmer
so have no right to gripe, so take this little rant with a grain of salt!

I really hate all this stuff that uses Microsoft proprietary components like the
.NET frame work and Visual Studio. The sole purpose it to make Windows a requirement.
That's just playing dirty in this day and age, especially since Windows is the
dominant OS anyway... they plan on forcing it to remain so.

I do understand that these tools make the programmers job easier (the Windows tools)
though, and can hardly fault anyone for using them. There ARE many tools that will
run on multiple platforms now, but they aren't as easy to find or work with, mainly
due to the sheer number of people using the MS tools. In this case it really isn't
so bad, everyone knows up front they need Windows, and MS Windows IS the most common
OS. You have to support the widest customer base.

What gripes me most are programs and such that use a web browser for interaction.
You'd think they would work with any browser, but many will only work with IE.

I'm making an effort to get away from MS Windows for myself now that there is enough
software out there for Linux, but I'm going to be running XP in Virtual Box for a short
term solution for some programs I need that will take some work to convert from (mainly
a mailing database). That's if they won't run under WINE, which many programs will do,
such as PageMaker 6. I plan on buying a native Linux publishing package though --
PageStream. I'm not convinced the open source package, Scribus, is robust or supported
enough to rely on for something I put out on a regular basis. I don't mind paying a
reasonable price for supported software.

------------
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:14:38 -0500
From: Roger Taylor<operator at coco3.com>

  I'm putting this link up top in case you don't make it to the end of
this e-mail.:)

http://www.coco3.com/community/upcoming-phoenix-ide

Without spending too much time explaining the obvious, that I'm
working hard to fullfill overdue Drive Pak orders, I wanted to put
out an offer that will end up being the solution (and probably the
only solution) to wrapping up past due orders and possibly producing
more Drive Paks starting in January.

  Those who have used and followed my efforts with the original
Portal-9 IDE (CoCo and MC-10) and later the Rainbow IDE for most
vintage systems will absolutely fall head over heels with the new
Phoenix IDE.  This is a completely redesigned IDE using another
language and the .NET framework.  This was necessary to allow the IDE
to be expandable and upgraded much quicker.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"