[Coco] Deskmate 3 article link

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Sep 14 16:19:35 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 09:42:10PM -0500, Roger Taylor wrote:
> These types of multiplan suites were the money makers back in the
> day.

Indeed.

> I wish Tandy or third-party companies would have put out additional
> programs for DeskMate.

They did for the PC version, but the CoCo version is entirely its own
thing, apparently.

>In fact, sometimes I wonder what will be involved in making a
>DeskMate-compatible program.

Well, you could start by adding another "application" to the DMAPPS
file (see http://www.sdc.org/~goosey/os9/dmapps.lzh for details).  I
don't know if DESK will even read more than 6 icon-sets from DMAPPS,
but if it will, point it at some little VDG program (possibly on of
the DM binaries that doesn't have an icon?  DMMENU perhaps?  I think
DMMENU is the one that runs the configuration screen.) and see if
DM'll run it.

I'm sure a graphics-master like you can bully the GIME into the weird
160x192 graphics mode DM3 likes to use.

<sigh> If only Tandy had released development stuff for it.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard