[Coco] Artifacting (again)

Wes bdrel169 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 13:14:02 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some information on basic (simple, 4-colour) artifacting on
> the Coco 1/2 PMODE 4 screen - NOT interested in the Coco 3 at this point.
>
> 0 0 = black
> 1 1 = white(buff)
> 0 1 = red
> 1 0 = blue
>
> Do both PAL and NTSC produce artifacts? And are there any differences
> between PAL/NTSC machines? Do you get artifacting on the green/black PMODE 4
> screen (SCREEN 1,0)?

I can (try to) answer the third question. Going from memory (as none of the
emulators I have on hand here at work implement this) PMODE4:SCREEN 1,0
would give you something like

0 0 = black
1 1 = bright green
0 1 = greyish blue
1 0 = dark / brownish green

I may have the last two flipped relative to your table above, but that's the
idea. It was a great mode for adventure games set in a forest or swamp!

I can verify this on a real coco when I get home. Sorry I can't help you
with PAL.

Wes