[Coco] Drivewire / Coconet ? Is a rs232 pack any faster than the bit banger?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Oct 23 18:00:08 EDT 2010

At 01:15 PM 10/23/2010, you wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Brian Blake <random.rodder at gmail.com> wrote:
> > RS-282 pak - I can't answer that question, anybody else?
> >
> > There are numerous games and programs in general that will not run without
> > real floppy hardware due to using their own disk access routines. It sucks,
> > but, it's a fact...
> > This is where the flexibility of the DrivePak really shines, as long as you
> > have an MPI... You can switch between real disk hardware and the virtual
> > disks with a single command, and without hardware changeover.
>
>That is nice, but I don't think its something exclusive to the
>DrivePak.  It's my understanding that coconet can switch between real
>disks and bitbanger or serial disks as well.  I think you can do this
>in DriveWire by issuing the DRIVE OFF command, although I haven't got
>a FDC here to try it, people have told me this works.  And with the
>SuperIDE, I can actually switch between DriveWire and Coconet with a
>single command (and that doesn't even require a multipak!).
>
>-Aaron

Actually, you can use your physical drives, the Drive Pak drives,
bitbanger drives, and Wireless Pak drives all at the same time,
meaning you can COPY or BACKUP between any two types of drives.  You
can mix-or-match whatever types of drives you want using the standard
DRIVE command with extra syntax added.

--
~ Roger Taylor