[Coco] Drivewire / Coconet ? Is a rs232 pack any faster than the bit banger?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 14:15:24 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Brian Blake <random.rodder at gmail.com> wrote:
> RS-282 pak - I can't answer that question, anybody else?
>
> There are numerous games and programs in general that will not run without
> real floppy hardware due to using their own disk access routines. It sucks,
> but, it's a fact...
> This is where the flexibility of the DrivePak really shines, as long as you
> have an MPI... You can switch between real disk hardware and the virtual
> disks with a single command, and without hardware changeover.

That is nice, but I don't think its something exclusive to the
DrivePak.  It's my understanding that coconet can switch between real
disks and bitbanger or serial disks as well.  I think you can do this
in DriveWire by issuing the DRIVE OFF command, although I haven't got
a FDC here to try it, people have told me this works.  And with the
SuperIDE, I can actually switch between DriveWire and Coconet with a
single command (and that doesn't even require a multipak!).

-Aaron