[Coco] strange nitros9 boot error code, very quickly after loading the boot track I get a tb*v, error 246 not ready

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Nov 24 17:05:32 EST 2010

On Wednesday, November 24, 2010 04:44:32 pm Robert Gault did opine:

> Ugh, this is getting complicated by running in terminal mode.

In this case, the only terminal on /t2 is the one I'm using to copy past
the data I have shown.  New boot disks are made directly from the coco3's
keyboard.

> It would
> help to keep things a simple as possible. For starters, you could try
> the same thing in MESS or VCC. The main difference would be drivers and
> nothing would funnel through /t2. The technique would be the same.

I don't have either one set up here.

> Some points. LINK.BAS run on a properly set up system will not make any
> changes. Try creating a boot floppy that fully boots and can access the
> hard drive. When you get one that works, then change Boot, Init, Sysgo,
> and /DD so they work with the hard drive.

init, points at /dd, /dd points at the hard drive in the existing, working
boot, which once os9boot is read from the floppy, the init causes all
further boot actions to come from the hard drive, including the sysgo
executed.  That leaves boot_tc3, and that came from the superdriver disk I
believe, and has not changed between distro's since 3.2.4 or earlier.

> Put the new boot disk on
> drive 128 and run LINK.BAS. The boot process from the hard drive should
> work.

I ran link.bas, gave it the argument of 128 when it asked.  I tried 0
thinking it would work on the freshly genned floppy, but that was some sort
of an error exit.

> I can help getting MESS, VCC, and real Coco system with hard drives up
> and running booting from just a hard drive, no floppies. Your system
> seems some type of hybrid. I'm not sure just what you are trying to do.
> :)

It is, sorta.  A CoCo3/6309'd, a TC^3 with a 1Gb hard drive, an mpi (fixed)
3 floppies, a dual deluxe 232 pack, with the second chipset running a
Logitek serial mouse, an SC-II for floppy access (the 4n1 board has been
removed), and one of Rogers Bluetooth rs232 packs (/t3) that is just out of
range 95% of the time.  A vga monitor and one of Roys video adaptors
completes the crash site.  The terminal cable is from /t2 & hard wired to
here at 9600 baud.

I no longer have the 2nd monitor setup, it and the wp-rs that drives it
have been boxed.

So no, I wouldn't exactly call it a hybrid, just the deluxe accessory pack
equipt.  ;-)

I will return to this next week sometime, right now I'm catching it, or
ducking it, for being behind on the preps fro our trip.  A load in the
dryer to put away, and several things to carry to the Toy (2007 RAV4 now, I
took my Old Army to that paranoid vdub 2002 Jetta 3 weeks ago) yet.