[Coco] Why do a next Gen CoCo? was Any news on the so called CoCo4 or Next CoCo

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Nov 20 15:10:31 EST 2010

I don't know if its been noted (and forgive me if it has), but in this
discussion about a "next gen" CoCo, I seemed to recall that Jeff
Vavasour had released his emulators as freeware, with source code. This
was after someone pointed out that only MESS was available with source -
so I decided to do a sanity check:

http://www.vavasour.ca/jeff/trs80.html

Well - both emulators (CoCo 2 and 3) are available as Freeware, with
source code; of course, I am not sure what this kind of license means to
Jeff, exactly - but I bet if we asked nicely, maybe he might let us fork
it into a new product.

I don't think when he means "Freeware", that he means public domain. He
certainly likely doesn't mean GPL, either. Just that he's given his
blessing to the wide distribution of the emulators for free, with the
source code.

Now - the source code is Intel 16-bit assembler; not the easiest stuff
to work with, but not impossible, either. Maybe it could be reverse
engineered into C/C++ to be compiled with GCC? It probably wouldn't run
fast in the first iteration, but that would be a nice start. I am sure
there are other caveats to be had by his version of emulation, too.

One thing to note, though, is that in the source code download for the
CoCo 3 emulator is "version 1.7" - which added 16 color 640x480 and 256
color 320x200 modes, support for 16MB of RAM, etc - but he notes it
might have bugs.

Personally, I think this code (if he would approve?) could be the basis
for -a- version of a future CoCo; I have found his emulators to be
fairly well working for DOS emulation - I think any bugs could be worked
out with time. If this code was married with a stripped down version of
FreeDOS, such that the boot block of the disk kicked over to this
program immediately, with FreeDOS providing disk support (and anything
else) - or if some other method of using the code was done...

If I had the time to pursue such a project (I've done some 16-bit
assembler coding in DOS - but nothing on this scale); I think I'd
contact him myself. Hmm - maybe I'll just contact him anyhow...

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona