[Coco] TCP/IP Programming in Commodore BASIC

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 9 09:32:56 EST 2010

On Tuesday, November 09, 2010 09:29:26 am Jonno Downes did opine:

> Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at ...> writes:
> > One other Q, how fast did those commies run? (clock speed)
>
> 1 Mhz - which is plenty to support TCP/IP - the typical 80s era home
> computer seems pretty comparable in specs to the late 60s mainframes &
> early 70s minicomputers that where the backbone of the primordial
> internet
>
> In fact I did a demo called WebNoter (
> http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=90087 ) which has the usual
> cliches of a chip tune, bouncing sprites and text scrolling across the
> screen, but it also has an embedded web server in it - if you connect
> to it via a browser, you can edit the text in real time. The graphic
> effects are fairly uninspired, but I think proved the point there is
> enough CPU left over from the IP stack to handle the scroll text
> updates at the same time as moving the sprites and playing the tune.
>
> This is using a card (originally called RR-NET although there also
> clones called C64NIC+) that uses a cs8900 chip to interface to
> ethernet. The chip will easily can interface to an 8-bit data bus and
> there are lots of dev modules around e.g.
> http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=200

I did DL the pdf on it, and while it may be usable, the interface will be a
bear, with 5 IRQ lines, and 3 DMARQ/DMAAK pairs, it looks like a lot of
external translation support would be needed.  Is this the chip that this
networking stack supports?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)