[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Nov 19 17:54:33 EST 2010

Assume we are talking about advance hardware features and advance ROM.
I'm not asking for everything you'd like to see, but what would be the
minimum requirements -- the least common denominator/best compromise.

1. CoCo3 compatibility. Drop CoCo 1/2 semi graphics and artifacting
modes. The main purpose is to provide advanced but easy to program
features while maintaining a decent software base, not run everything
ever made for the CoCo line.

2. An easy to program I/O port of some kind. Doesn't have to be
cartridge port compatible, just needs to be easy to program. I recommend
the Centronics parallel port (LPT) which is still on most motherboards
as it reduces hardware needs, but a USB satellite connector would be
acceptable. There are also PCI LPT Port cards. Most ROM carts are
available as DSK files (or some other importable format). Most of the
useful Tandy hardware can be emulated/integrated on board.

3. Some way to access a physical floppy drive for those rare occasions
reading or writing a physical disk is necessary. This could be via
something like CoNect or DriveWire built in or run as a utility
connected to another PC, but the ability to connect a physical drive
would be preferred.

4. Switch the primary storage system to either HDSD cards (HD readers
are backwards compatible to standard SD, but standard SD won't read an
HD -- I've seen mostly HD cards in retail stores) or USB drives. No need
for a floppy all the time any more, but there is a need to transfer
and/or store data physically.

5. Higher res graphics that are easy to program. Something standard --
maybe just 640x480 VGA.

6. Use modern monitors.

7. Easy access to 512K to 1MB of memory for programs. Something like the
old "512KBASIC".

8. Ochestra 90 pack built in, and also improved. I guess I really mean
an improved version that's also backwards compatible. Or how important
is compatibility? Only a few things used it...

Okay, what am I missing??

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"