[Coco] Today, I have seen the CoCo 4...

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jun 7 14:24:33 EDT 2010

On 8 Jun 2010 at 1:07, Mark McDougall wrote:

> jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>
> > If you are referring to the 30 pin SIMM modules using EDO or Fast page
> > DRAM, they would be to slow for a soft 6809 in an FPGA. At 25MHz clock
> > speed you need 40nS access time or faster. That leaves the newer SDRAM
> > chips or fast SRAM to give a soft COCO fast enough memory.
>
> The DE1 has 8MB of SDRAM. There is a relatively simple SDRAM controller on
> opencores that is used on the DE1 in the Zet project. The main issue with
> SDRAM is the latency when setting up a new burst access. In this case you
> can hold off the 6809 if required, but then you run into problems when using
> SDRAM for video memory. Without deep caching, it can't be done.
>
> Regards,

Mark

Thanks for that input. I saw the latency issues and was not real comfortable with it. I was not
sure how to solve the problem other than slowing down the CPU and hopefully a burst will be
done before the next cycle. Then at defeats increasing the cycle period. Caching is
something that I need to better understand implementation.

james