[Coco] Today, I have seen the CoCo 4...

Diego Barizo diegoba at adinet.com.uy
Mon Jun 7 12:06:41 EDT 2010

Mark McDougall wrote:
> Frank Swygert wrote:
>
>> Which brings me back to why not merge an emulator with an OS (or
>> "hide" the OS behind the emulator interface) and use something like a
>> Mini-ITX board with a VIA or Atom processor, and create an optional
>> expansion card that either uses the PCI slot or a parallel printer
>> port. Cost of those boards is under $200, and the "look and feel"
>> would be about the same.
>
> Here's where I beg to differ. It may "look and feel" the same to some,
> but simply knowing what's under the hood makes a huge difference to
> me. Using software emulation on a Wintel platform "does not a Coco
> make" in my books, regardless of the physical form factor.
>
> But if it floats your boat, then go for it!
>
> Regards,

I share that feeling. An emulated CoCo over another OS doesn't feel
right. Maybe something inside me knows that a PC (or Mac) is not really
a CoCo.
Of course, I use emulators a lot and they could probably be a very handy
tool to develop new extensions, either hardware or software, for the
CoCo. Having VCC in my thumbdrive is pocket fun.

Diego