[Coco] Today, I have seen the CoCo 4...

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Jun 8 13:49:41 EDT 2010

I'm inclined to think of an FPGA as more or less emulated hardware. I know it's not quite emulation... maybe "simulated" is closer to reality. But either way none of the original CoCo hardware fits without further adapter boards for connectors and hardware. So in the end it's more or less six of one, half dozen of the other. It looks like there wouldn't be much difference in initial cost either though. Might be some savings in development since one is 80% software, but with the main FPGA work already done and available there really isn't any cost savings there. Back to
six of one, half dozen of the other! In the end both would look and feel similar to a CoCo and have pretty much the same capabilities, but neither would actually be one.

----------
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 13:06:41 -0300
From: Diego Barizo<diegoba at adinet.com.uy>

> >  Frank Swygert wrote:
> >>  Which brings me back to why not merge an emulator with an OS (or
> >>  "hide" the OS behind the emulator interface) and use something like a
> >>  Mini-ITX board with a VIA or Atom processor, and create an optional
> >>  expansion card that either uses the PCI slot or a parallel printer
> >>  port. Cost of those boards is under $200, and the "look and feel"
> >>  would be about the same.
> Mark McDougall wrote:
> >  Here's where I beg to differ. It may "look and feel" the same to some,
> >  but simply knowing what's under the hood makes a huge difference to
> >  me. Using software emulation on a Wintel platform "does not a Coco
> >  make" in my books, regardless of the physical form factor.
> >
> >  But if it floats your boat, then go for it!

I share that feeling. An emulated CoCo over another OS doesn't feel
right. Maybe something inside me knows that a PC (or Mac) is not really
a CoCo.
Of course, I use emulators a lot and they could probably be a very handy
tool to develop new extensions, either hardware or software, for the
CoCo. Having VCC in my thumbdrive is pocket fun.

Diego

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"