[Coco] MPI replacements?

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 19:24:05 EDT 2010

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> The CPLD route is not all the panecia that it is cracked up to be.
> ALmost all new CPLDs are no longer 5 volt tolerent. SOme are still
> around that both input and output will drive 5 volt TTL logic. They
> are expensive. Some of the newer less costly CPLDs need level
> translation to properlydrive 5 V TTL loads as well as inputs.

Whilst I would generally agree with that that expense is partly offset
by the fact that once the board is laid out, if you get something wrong
you can often fix it without having to throw the board away and start
again, the logic can be re-jigged without having to resort to piggy
backing chips, or dead cockroaching them :)

Programable logic also often makes the board easier to route as some of
the routing can happen inside the PLD etc.

Cheers.

Phill.