[Coco] Hello from a Coco Newbie...

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 00:30:39 EST 2010

If you have a general interest in all types of classic computers, you
probably want to explore MESS.  It not only has a good emulation of several
coco and coco-like machines, but many other retro systems as well.   Whether
you prefer it to VCC is something you'll have to determine for yourself,
seems to be a split between users of the two here on the list.

It can be really hard to find things in both the rtsi ftp site (mostly
software) and the malted media archive (mostly documentation).  When I first
if I'd looked everywhere or had the most current version of anything.

Here are the books I've found most useful, all can be found online, mostly
in malted media's archive.  Sorry if I've left any favorites out, and also
sorry but you'll have to search around for them.  At least maybe you'll have
a better idea of *what* to look for :)

General CoCo / History:

  "Tandy's Little Wonder, 2nd edition" by F.G. Swygert

Hardware:

  "Coco III Secrets Revealed" by John Gabbard
  "A Full Turn of the Screw" by Tony DiStefano

6809 ASM:

  "Assembly Language Programming for the Color Computer" by Laurence A
Tepolt
  "Assembly Language Programming for the Color Computer 3" by Laurence A
Tepolt
  "TRS-80 Color Computer Assembly Language Programming" by William Barden,
Jr
  "Motorola MC6809 Programming Manual" by Motorola

BASIC

  All of the Tandy manuals are quite good
  All of the "Unravelled" series by Spectral Associates (Color, Disk,
Extended, Super Extended Basic Unravelled)

OS-9 / NitrOS-9

  The original documentations from Microware/Tandy, especially the
  "OS-9 Level II Development System and Tech Reference"
  "Mastering OS-9 on the Tandy Color Computer 3" by Farna Systems
  "Inside OS-9 Level II" by Kevin Darling
  "OS-9 User Notes vol 1" by Peter Dibble (great set of articles, is there a
vol 2+?)
  "OS-9 Insights" by Peter Dibble, edition 3.0
  For NitrOS-9, the documentation found on the website is very good.  Not
aware of any books specifically written about NitrOS-9, but most content in
the OS-9 books applies.

Welcome and hope you enjoy the CoCo!
-Aaron