[Coco] Hello from a Coco Newbie...

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Jan 29 23:01:19 EST 2010

Michael Kerpan wrote:
> As someone who has long been interested in classic computers, I'm
> always looking to explore cool platforms from the past, which Coco
> (and especially the Coco 3) seems to be. At the moment, I'm short on
> physical space (and on cash), so a real system looks to be out of the
> question, but the VCC emulator looks quite good to start an
> exploration with...
>
> Anyway, I was wonder if there are any good sources of software online
> to get me started and also if anybody has any reccomendations as to
> good sources of information about Coco and 6809 coding? I've checked
> the Cocopedia, but information still seems to be very limited, so any
> help would greatly appreciated!

The FTP archives already mentioned are good places to start.  An
additional hint:  look in the INCOMING and NEWLY RECEIVED directories
for lots and lots of stuff the administrators have not had time to sort
through yet.

This mail list is honestly one of the best possible sources of
information about the CoCo.

For 6809 programming, "Color Computer Assembly Language Programming" by
William Barden, Jr. isn't too bad.  It does have the virtue of providing
some CoCo (1/2) specific information.  (I think I saw a scanned PDF of
it on one of those FTP sites...)  "CoCo 3 Secrets Revealed" has some
useful information about the enhanced hardware of the CoCo 3, such as
the MMU.

Years ago I read "Programming the 6809" by Zaks and Labiak, published by
Sybex.  It was pretty good.  I haven't seen that one online.

The official Motorola book seems to have made its way to the maltedmedia
site:
ftp://ftp.maltedmedia.com/coco/MANUALS0/M6809PM.rev0_May83.pdf  I have a
couple copies of the printed version of this book.

If you're interested in the HD6309 extensions to the MC6809 processor
model, you might look here:
ftp://ftp.maltedmedia.com/coco/VARIOUS/INFO/HD6309/  Many of us have
retrofitted our CoCos with the 6309, and there is software that uses the
extra features of this chip, including The Projector 3 and the 6309
version of NitrOS-9.

For a little history and background on the Color Computer (along with
technical tidbits as well), check out "Tandy's Little Wonder" by Frank
Swygert.  Definitely worth a peek:
ftp://ftp.maltedmedia.com/coco/Farna/Tandy%27s%20Little%20Wonder/

Enjoy getting to know the CoCo.  There's a reason we still love this
computer after 3 decades.

JCE