[Coco] problems creating a boot disk from NitrOS9 03.02.09

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 22 12:05:24 EST 2010

On Friday 22 January 2010, Robert Gault wrote:
>Bob Devries wrote:
>> Hi Gene,
>>
>> unfortunately, ED/VI is not on the standard NitrOS9 distribution disk.
>>
>> Regards, Bob Devries
>
>It's a moot point since we are all obtaining the distribution disks from
>our PCs. Just use any PC text editor that can handle $0D as a line end,
>extract the script files from the .dsk images, edit them, and return
>them to the images.
>
>As for editing on the Coco, I've been using scred which was distributed
>with a Tandy OS-9 Level II developers package.

I had a copy of that once. I tquit using it after it wrecked the file and the
disk structure of the disk I was working on the file from 1 too many times.
I just sent find off to see if it still exists on that 1Gb seagate.

Have you found it 100% dependable?

Yes, I still have a copy of it, find found these, copy/pasted from the
minicom screen:

{t2|08}/DD/MAXTOR:find scred /dd/maxtor
scredfix.ar found in /DD/MAXTOR/AR.STF
icon.scred found in /DD/MAXTOR/B09/ICONEDT.SRC/ICONS.TXT
icon.scred found in /DD/MAXTOR/CMDS/ICONS
scred found in /DD/MAXTOR/CMDS
SCRED found in /DD/MAXTOR/HELP
scred.hlp found in /DD/MAXTOR/HELP

Then:
{t2|08}/DD/MAXTOR:vfy cmds/scred
Length of file: $0000591D

Module found at offset $00000000 in this file
Header for    : scred
Header parity : $6C (good)
Module size   : $591D
Edition       : $3D
Ty/La At/Rv   : $11   $81
Program module, 6809 object, Re-enterable, R/O
Exec. off     : $001C
Data Size     : $0E77
Module CRC is : $6E4288 (good)

Is that the same scred you have? From a dir -e listing:
0  2003/12/11 16:50  --e-rewr     D74      591D scred

And this is scred.hlp:
{t2|08}/DD/MAXTOR/HELP:list scred.hlp
Syntax: Scred [-opts][<filename>]
Usage : Screen Editor
Opts  : -e  = embedded attributes on terminal
        -b=<int> redefine buffer size
        -l=<int> redefine screen length
        -w=<int> redefine screen width
        -t=<term> define terminal name
        -z=<path> path for termset file

And an attempt to run it:
{t2|08}/DD/MAXTOR/HELP:../cmds/scred scred.hlp
Error #216 - Path Name Not Found

And it returns that error 100% of the time, like its hard coded to go look
for a termset file on a floppy that doesn't exist?

And I have NDI why it shows as so new.
/dd/maxtor/help/scred.hlp is a decade older.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

those damn racoons!