[Coco] problems creating a boot disk from NitrOS9 03.02.09

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 22 14:28:32 EST 2010

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Have you found it (scred) 100% dependable?

For the most part, yes. Things can go wrong if you use the wrong key
combinations and recovery sometimes must be brute force. I tend to just
reboot, kill the temporary file, and start over.

> Yes, I still have a copy of it, find found these, copy/pasted from the
> minicom screen:
>
> {t2|08}/DD/MAXTOR:find scred /dd/maxtor
> scredfix.ar found in /DD/MAXTOR/AR.STF

I've not heard of scredfix. What is it and where is it available?

> icon.scred found in /DD/MAXTOR/B09/ICONEDT.SRC/ICONS.TXT
> icon.scred found in /DD/MAXTOR/CMDS/ICONS
> scred found in /DD/MAXTOR/CMDS
> SCRED found in /DD/MAXTOR/HELP
> scred.hlp found in /DD/MAXTOR/HELP
>
> Then:
> {t2|08}/DD/MAXTOR:vfy cmds/scred
> Length of file: $0000591D
>
> Module found at offset $00000000 in this file
> Header for    : scred
> Header parity : $6C (good)
> Module size   : $591D
> Edition       : $3D
> Ty/La At/Rv   : $11   $81
> Program module, 6809 object, Re-enterable, R/O
> Exec. off     : $001C
> Data Size     : $0E77
> Module CRC is : $6E4288 (good)
>
> Is that the same scred you have?

Yes, looks like the same one as the CRC and edition are the same.

> From a dir -e listing:
> 0  2003/12/11 16:50  --e-rewr     D74      591D scred
>
> And this is scred.hlp:
> {t2|08}/DD/MAXTOR/HELP:list scred.hlp
> Syntax: Scred [-opts][<filename>]
> Usage : Screen Editor
> Opts  : -e  = embedded attributes on terminal
>          -b=<int>  redefine buffer size
>          -l=<int>  redefine screen length
>          -w=<int>  redefine screen width
>          -t=<term>  define terminal name
>          -z=<path>  path for termset file
>
> And an attempt to run it:
> {t2|08}/DD/MAXTOR/HELP:../cmds/scred scred.hlp
> Error #216 - Path Name Not Found
>
> And it returns that error 100% of the time, like its hard coded to go look
> for a termset file on a floppy that doesn't exist?

Not sure what you are trying to do there. Scred.hlp should be in the SYS
directory. You can list it or while in the scred Edit mode type ? as a
command. You don't get any help from scred while in the Command mode.
I've got a set of scred instructions but no way to scan them. So if you
want to know how to do something I can respond with the key sequence but
can't send a copy of the instructions.