[Coco] problems creating a boot disk from NitrOS9 03.02.09

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 22 00:20:13 EST 2010

On Thursday 21 January 2010, Bob Devries wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I've been trying to create a custom boot disk from the latest NitrOS9
> distribution, V03.02.09.
>
>I'm booting from the supplied disk image (using VCC). I created my own
> bootlist file called myboot.bl in the /NITROS9/6309L2/BOOTLISTS directory,
> and my own mb.myboot script file, which is identical to the file
> standard.bl, except I rem'd out the instruction to delete bttemp (I
> thought I was having a problem there).
>
>The script works fine up to step 3, and then gives an error 215. It
> continues to the end correctly, except that no OS9Boot file is produced,
> and Tempboot is left on the target disk. It's in the OS9Gen phase that the
> failure occurs.
>
>When I do an ident of the tempboot file, it quits at the RBF file. Somehow,
> the RBF file is not being read correctly. However, if I ident the file
> RBF.mn in /DD/NITROS9/6309L2/MODULES/RBF, it comes up correct.
>
>I have checked the paths to each and every module included in the myboot.bl
> file, and I can't see anything wrong.
>
>Can anyone give me any clues?
>
>Regards, Bob Devries

Seems to be a rash of that going around.  I recall several years ago that the
default mb file we all used as a starter, had a back character causing os9gen
to fail, but I suspect that was just my local copy.

Having set the offsets in my /sh descriptor and stp=FF so it thinks its drive
255 to HDB-DOS, I'm getting disk id changed errors, so it makes an empty
tempboot, doesn't write the bootrack, but does put the other stuff the mb
file puts on that disk.

So it appears we have an interaction between os9gen, and a real hard drive as
it works fine on a real floppy.

What that might be I haven't a clue yet.