[Coco] Which Windows OS for Jeff's Emulator?

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 21:47:39 EST 2010

Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found my missing laptop computer and am in the process of deleting
> all it's files (Long Overdue).
>
> Windows XP SP3 will be reinstalled along with another OS that works
> well with Jeff's CoCo 3 Emulator.
>
> But I forget which one I should install in a FAT32 partition. Perhaps
> along with MSDOS.

I'd say go for Windows 98 SE. I never used 2K, but I doubt this
DOS-based emulator would work under it. If it does, however, then I see
no reason why it would not also work under XP. Both OSes are based on
the NT 5.x kernel.

If you really need or want to install MS-DOS as well -- which might not
be necessary, since Windows 98 SE is based on a DOS layer and allows you
to boot to the command prompt -- be aware that you won't be able to
install MS-DOS on a FAT32 partition, unless you find the so-called
MS-DOS 7.1, which is comprised of the main DOS files taken from Windows
98, plus the "OLDDOS" command-line utilities that MS used to provide on
the Windows 9x CD-ROM. I think FreeDOS would also allow you to use
FAT32, as would ROM-DOS (free single user version) and probably
OpenDOS/DR-DOS 7.x or later.