[Coco] USB (RS-232?) O-scope

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sun Feb 28 14:42:35 EST 2010

Frank:

Thanks for posting that - it is an interesting scope, that's for sure.
Dual-channel, and it is fairly cheap ($89.00) for the kit, and the
complete interface specs are included. It uses an FTDI usb-serial
interface chip set, and with the specs it wouldn't be difficult at all
to write interface software for *nix (why the developer didn't code the
software in Java - it would've been perfect for cross-platform usage; I
will give props to the guy for including communication specs, though -
too many of the nicer USB scope vendors don't do this at all).

It probably wouldn't take much to get xoscope for Linux to work with it:

	http://xoscope.sourceforge.net/

But you won't be seeing it communicating with the CoCo anytime soon; in
order to get the acquisition speed, it is running the USB-serial port at
500 kbaud; even if you could get connected (say, with Roger's serial pak
- although I am not sure it can be set that high?), the CoCo could never
keep up, of course.

:( - oh, well...

Here's the link to the scope's site, in case anyone is interested:

	http://www.pdamusician.com/dpscope/downloads.html

---

Gene:

Yeah, you are right that this scope is useless for all but the slowest
of signals, but that still opens up a lot of ground (just not anything
CoCo related, much); most of these low-cost scopes are targeted toward
hobbyists who work with low-speed micro-controllers like the Arduino;
they are generally interested in lower-speed digital waveforms (is my
i/o pin going high at the proper time), or lower-frequency audio or
other analog waveforms. For these uses, these scopes are perfect, and
don't require shelling out a lot of money for a useful tool (even a used
scope can be expensive for some).

A couple of other options (both of which have a similar speed to this
scope - though only single channel):

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/digital-storage-oscilloscope-diy-kit-with-panels-p-515.html?cPath=11

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/micro-digital-storage-oscilloscopedso-nano-p-512.html

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona