[Coco] USB (RS-232?) O-scope

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 25 16:51:54 EST 2010

On Thursday 25 February 2010, Frank Swygert wrote:
>Saw this at
>http://www.instructables.com/id/DPScope-Build-Your-Own-USBPC-Based-Oscillos
>cope/ and thought some of you might be interested. Looks like a good way to
> get a cheap o-scope, but I'm not sure if the specs are good enough for
> working with a CoCo. The only drawback is the software is Windows based,
> but maybe one of you Linux guys can fix that -- or it might run under
> WINE, or could be run in a virtual PC window....  It uses a USB
>interface, but it should be convertible to RS-232. Uses a PIC
>microcontroller. If RS-232 is doable I wonder if software could be
>written for a CoCo? Since the PIC is doing most of  the work the
>computer should just be a display device, but the CoCo screen or serial
>might not be capable of displaying fast enough -- then someone has to
>write the software too...
>
>*Input:
>*
>Number of channels: 2
>Analog bandwidth: > 1.3 MHz

Way too slow, you need at least 10x the observed waveforms bandwidth in the
device to get anywhere near a display you can believe in.  That would only be
usable for audio since the top signal in the coco is in the 28mhz range.  My
own Hitachi dual trace scope, while usable to 200mhz but way out of
calibration as its rated at 100Mhz, is just adequate to display the output of
the gime or the address and data lines.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Nothing makes a person more productive than the last minute.