[Coco] System gen problem - SOLVED!!

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Feb 13 20:12:32 EST 2010

Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> 2b. Want to boot directly from HD, /dd is /H0, /d0-3 and /x are
> available (is this possible?)

It sure is, if you have the right type of hard drive system. You can do it with
the original Ken-Ton scsi system and the current Cloud-9 HDBDOS hard drive
system. I think there was another OS-9 only hard drive system that could boot
directly from the hard drive but I'm not familiar with it no know anyone using same.

As an example of the RGB-DOS/HDB-DOS hard drive systems, they assign part of the
hard drive to Disk Basic. You can have at least 256 Disk Basic drives in
addition to the OS-9 portion limited by the size of the drive.
One of the Disk Basic drives (all 35 track) is an OS-9 boot disk containing only
the kernel on track 34 and the OS9Boot file.
Once the kernel and os9boot file are loaded, the boot process continues from the
OS-9 portion of the hard drive.

That is what my system does and include two scsi hard drives, two floppies (3.5
and 5.25), and the Drivewire /x0-/x3 drives on a Windows PC.