[Coco] System gen problem - SOLVED!!

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 09:14:06 EST 2010

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Robert Gault wrote:

> Steve uses different drivers for his hard disk system. But that is not
> relevant. It was the cvs revision number that was critical for me. Steve was,
> I think, originally using what probably were DW4 drivers with a DW3 server.

NO. I did so only after two days of thrashing around with system version
3.2.8 _and_ 3.2.9 (at least a dozen tries each) with the DW3 drivers from
the Cloud9 boot image dated March 2009.

I did eventually switch to the DW4 drivers as a last, futile attempt and
everyone seems to have latched on to that as the problem.  In fact, my
experience and some feedback from others strongly suggests that the legacy
drivers were to blame.  They worked only in a narrow set of cases where
the default drive was over DW, and seemed fussy about ordering even then.
They absolutely did not work in my scenario where I wanted the hard disk
to be the default.

It was only after Robert Gault was kind enough to assemble a boot image
using the drivers in his possession (perhaps built from nitros9 CVS
source pre-DW4) that things began cooperating.

Boisy mentioned that he recalled fixing a bug where the DW drivers became
adversely affected by others in the image.  I suspect this fix came at a
point sometime after the Cloud9 image was assembled and simply never got
retro-fitted.

Hopefully this sets the record straight.

Steve