[Coco] System gen problem - SOLVED!!

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 09:31:24 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Robert Gault wrote:
>
>> Steve uses different drivers for his hard disk system. But that is not
>> relevant. It was the cvs revision number that was critical for me. Steve
>> was, I think, originally using what probably were DW4 drivers with a DW3
>> server.
>
> NO. I did so only after two days of thrashing around with system version
> 3.2.8 _and_ 3.2.9 (at least a dozen tries each) with the DW3 drivers from
> the Cloud9 boot image dated March 2009.
>
> I did eventually switch to the DW4 drivers as a last, futile attempt and
> everyone seems to have latched on to that as the problem.  In fact, my
> experience and some feedback from others strongly suggests that the legacy
> drivers were to blame.  They worked only in a narrow set of cases where the
> default drive was over DW, and seemed fussy about ordering even then. They
> absolutely did not work in my scenario where I wanted the hard disk to be
> the default.
>
> It was only after Robert Gault was kind enough to assemble a boot image
> using the drivers in his possession (perhaps built from nitros9 CVS source
> pre-DW4) that things began cooperating.
>
> Boisy mentioned that he recalled fixing a bug where the DW drivers became
> adversely affected by others in the image.  I suspect this fix came at a
> point sometime after the Cloud9 image was assembled and simply never got
> retro-fitted.
>
> Hopefully this sets the record straight.

I understand the trouble the old (disk images from cloud9 site)
drivers caused.  They were on the cloud9 site for quite some time. I
am surprised this is the first time this issue came up (or maybe it
has been a problem for some that never got resolved).

I believe that so long as everyone uses the drivers/bootdisks/etc from
the DriveWire sourceforge site:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/drivewireserver/files/ , that this
problem will not happen again.

Once again, if anyone does have problems using these drivers, with
either the included NitrOS-9 or NitrOS-9 from current CVS, please let
me know.  Feel free to send a private email if you prefer.  I think it
is important to keep these disks "stable" so I will not be updating
them unless Boisy tells me to or some drastic change occurs.  I'll do
whatever I can to ensure they remain a source of a known good
combination of OS and driver if they do change.