[Coco] Would anyone like some snow?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 13:24:26 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:46 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 February 2010, Tim Fadden wrote:

>>> It's been a couple weeks but the escape sequences for screen control
>>> were not getting to my terminal (or not being sent), or not properly
>>> defined in the termset file, or my client is no good... too many
>>> unknowns :).  could also be a bug in the way dw4 handles telnet, our
>>> implementation is pretty sparse.  so i was interested in what's known
>>> to work well, hoping to eliminate some factors.  i will keep at it
>>> with scred.
>>
>>I have had various results with different windows telnet clients also.
>>Some settings that seem to help if you can change them
>>
>>Use: Force Character at a time mode.
>>Also make sure not to change the window size (ok if scaling, and not
>>changing rows/columns).
>>
>>I use CRT v4.0.1 with windows.  Took me a bit of tweeking but works
>>great now.  I also tested a couple of free/shareware clients that worked
>>good.
>>
>>Under linux and solaris I use the command line telnet which works, and a
>>nix serial/com program that works great is minicom.
>>
> I use that to talk to my coco, a lot.  But in my case I also have found there
> is a bug in this ASUS hardware, which has something resembling a 16550 for
> serial comm.  Minicom, FWIW, does not properly honor the xon/xoff protocol
> for starters as I have tried to use that in moving the disk images to the
> coco that I can generate on this linux box using the mamou assembler and
> make.  I can see the flicker of the coco sending the xoff on my rs232 led
> sniffer, but minicom just keeps pouring it down the pipe.  So I have to use
> hardware flow.  And a DTR drop by the coco, will eventually stop minicom and
> the linux sz that is sending it, but I apparently have a duff 6551 or mc1488
> line driver in that channel of my rs-232 pack, and when I dmem -1 buffer-
> reported-by-irqs 50!dump, and look at the various variables, I see 100%
> consistent data indicating that the 16550 emulation on this motherboard does
> not stop at the end of the current byte, but continues to flush the tx buffer
> in the 16550 until it runs empty.  With an xoff/dtr off point 32 bytes short
> of a full buffer, when it freezes because my mc1488 won't re-enable DTR, the
> buffer will often be within 6 to 8 bytes of overflowing because the data flow
> didn't stop instantly.  One such printout I have in front of me, shows the
> xoff/dtr point should be at (with an xtp=02) $01EC, but the buffer itself has
> $01F6 bytes in it. 10 additional bytes were rx'd by the coco after it dropped
> dtr.  So minicom does have its warts about xon/xoff.  If I want to move the
> full disk images, I have to drop back to a comm speed the coco can handle
> without using much if any flow control. 4800 baud is doable, 9600 is not
> because rz is so slow at about 7000 baud, flow controls must be used.

You might want to give drivewire4 a shot, either the current beta or
after we finally get it all polished up and pretty.

Wayne Campbell and I have been collaborating on some projects where we
both often use 'rz' over telnet to send files to my Coco.
I am local to the CoCo, he is on the other side of the country.
Because DW handles the flow control and buffering itself (and does not
need XON/XOFF), rz over telnet is very reliable and quite fast.