[Coco] Would anyone like some snow?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 11 04:46:59 EST 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010, Tim Fadden wrote:
>On 2/10/2010 7:35 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

>>> Ive used scred from linux, solaris, and several versions of windows with
>>> great results.
>>>
>>> What kind of issues were you having?
>>
>> It's been a couple weeks but the escape sequences for screen control
>> were not getting to my terminal (or not being sent), or not properly
>> defined in the termset file, or my client is no good... too many
>> unknowns :).  could also be a bug in the way dw4 handles telnet, our
>> implementation is pretty sparse.  so i was interested in what's known
>> to work well, hoping to eliminate some factors.  i will keep at it
>> with scred.
>
>I have had various results with different windows telnet clients also.
>Some settings that seem to help if you can change them
>
>Use: Force Character at a time mode.
>Also make sure not to change the window size (ok if scaling, and not
>changing rows/columns).
>
>I use CRT v4.0.1 with windows.  Took me a bit of tweeking but works
>great now.  I also tested a couple of free/shareware clients that worked
>good.
>
>Under linux and solaris I use the command line telnet which works, and a
>nix serial/com program that works great is minicom.

I use that to talk to my coco, a lot.  But in my case I also have found there
is a bug in this ASUS hardware, which has something resembling a 16550 for
serial comm.  Minicom, FWIW, does not properly honor the xon/xoff protocol
for starters as I have tried to use that in moving the disk images to the
coco that I can generate on this linux box using the mamou assembler and
make.  I can see the flicker of the coco sending the xoff on my rs232 led
sniffer, but minicom just keeps pouring it down the pipe.  So I have to use
hardware flow.  And a DTR drop by the coco, will eventually stop minicom and
the linux sz that is sending it, but I apparently have a duff 6551 or mc1488
line driver in that channel of my rs-232 pack, and when I dmem -1 buffer-
reported-by-irqs 50!dump, and look at the various variables, I see 100%
consistent data indicating that the 16550 emulation on this motherboard does
not stop at the end of the current byte, but continues to flush the tx buffer
in the 16550 until it runs empty.  With an xoff/dtr off point 32 bytes short
of a full buffer, when it freezes because my mc1488 won't re-enable DTR, the
buffer will often be within 6 to 8 bytes of overflowing because the data flow
didn't stop instantly.  One such printout I have in front of me, shows the
xoff/dtr point should be at (with an xtp=02) $01EC, but the buffer itself has
$01F6 bytes in it. 10 additional bytes were rx'd by the coco after it dropped
dtr.  So minicom does have its warts about xon/xoff.  If I want to move the
full disk images, I have to drop back to a comm speed the coco can handle
without using much if any flow control. 4800 baud is doable, 9600 is not
because rz is so slow at about 7000 baud, flow controls must be used.

I am forced to use this method to get nitros9 onto my coco because the floppy
hardware on this ASUS motherboard cannot do a 256 byte sector disk, even with
dd to a disk formatted by the coco.  Yeah, its a PIMA.