[Coco] Would anyone like some snow?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Feb 12 00:29:42 EST 2010

On Thursday 11 February 2010, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:46 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
wrote:
[...]
>You might want to give drivewire4 a shot, either the current beta or
>after we finally get it all polished up and pretty.

I pulled what I could find yesterday, but need to make a 25' cable & don't
have the foggiest about the pinouts.  Since mark doesn't even show it on his
pages, I don't know where else to look.

>Wayne Campbell and I have been collaborating on some projects where we
>both often use 'rz' over telnet to send files to my Coco.
>I am local to the CoCo, he is on the other side of the country.
>Because DW handles the flow control and buffering itself (and does not
>need XON/XOFF), rz over telnet is very reliable and quite fast.

I finally managed to make it (sc6551.dr) hang with the rx buffer drained by
rz this afternoon, but my flow control attempts are pointing at a bad mc1488
in my rs-232 pack, and its the bottom one in the stack since that pack is
piggy-backed for 2 ports.

Up till now, the hang has somehow disabled the reads too, leaving the rx
buffer full, so the DTR wasn't even being brought back true.  I'm still
analyzing both the codes last listing and the dmem of the drivers memory
area.  Somewhere the light will come on, but first I need to acquire more
mc1488's that actually work 100% instead of 99% of the time.  I swear, that
is the least dependable chip ever designed.

I seem to be more limited in the creative juices dept as the years go by and
if I can't find a given problem in a couple of hours, I may was well hang it
up till I've had a chance to sleep on it again.  Getting old is definitely
not for wimps.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)