[Coco] Color Quaver

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz dennis-ix at maltedmedia.com
Mon Feb 1 18:10:25 EST 2010

At 06:03 PM 2/1/2010, you wrote:
>I noticed some discussion over on 'coco3.com' about producing
>polyphonic music using the CoCo's simple D-to-A converter.  One
>product that was brought up was the "Color Quaver" software.  I didn't
>know much about this application, so did some reading up.  I have the
>original articles from "Color Computer Magazine" and found the textual
>repository on the MaltedMedia FTP server.  But I haven't found any
>actual binary copies of the application or music samples.
>
>There was talk about five years ago on this list about getting the
>original tapes copied, and perhaps moving the application into a disk
>image--"Color Quaver" was originally a tape-only program.  Does anyone
>know if this project ever moved forward?  Thankfully, images of the
>source code still exist, so the program could be reproduced from that,
>but that's a whole bunch of work!

My goodness, somebody remembers it. Yes, Color Quaver was indeed a
4-voice program that was fully polyphonic and used software only.

I have the source and binaries on cassette, but have never
transferred them. Someone else apparently made a disk version, but I
don't have that. (Green Mountain Micro went bankrupt before a disk
version was ever made.)

I've released all my software and documentation to the public domain,
so if you want to work on it, go ahead. The binaries are in storage
-- which is 20 miles away and blocked by ice & snow -- so I can't get
them until spring. But if the person who made a disk version will
come forward, that would be best.

Dennis

Country Stores book!
<http://www.amazon.com/Country-Stores-Vermont-Dennis-Bathory-kitsz/dp/1596294752/>