[Coco] Color Quaver

J.P. Samson coco+list at jeanpaulsamson.com
Mon Feb 1 21:33:25 EST 2010

On Feb. 1, 2010, at 4:10 PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> At 06:03 PM 2/1/2010, you wrote:
>
>> I noticed some discussion over on 'coco3.com' about producing
>> polyphonic music using the CoCo's simple D-to-A converter.  One
>> product that was brought up was the "Color Quaver" software.
>
> My goodness, somebody remembers it. Yes, Color Quaver was indeed a
> 4-voice program that was fully polyphonic and used software only.
>
> I have the source and binaries on cassette, but have never transferred
> them. Someone else apparently made a disk version, but I don't have
> that.
>
> The binaries are in storage -- which is 20 miles away and blocked by
> ice & snow -- so I can't get them until spring. But if the person who
> made a disk version will come forward, that would be best.

I'm in no big rush, so hopefully this mythological disk version will
come to light!  Based on the feature set, it does sound like Quaver
might have been the best all-software music program to come out on the
CoCo 1+2.  (The CoCo 3 is another matter, and introduced sample-based
music software.)  My Color Computer equipment is in storage, and
awaits the day I have a work area available to set it up in.  In the
meantime, I've been trying to collect together materials of interest.
Sound generation was always a challenge for the CoCo hardware, so it's
something I'm trying to learn more about.

-- JP