[Coco] [Color Computer] VCC v1.41

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 08:29:33 EDT 2010

On Friday, August 13, 2010 08:07:58 am Fedor Steeman did opine:

> Hi Gene,
>
> I have many times considered setting up my own webserver for several
> projects, but always backed out, because i feared the electricity costs
> of having a computer running 24-7.
>
> /Fedor

I haven't actually calculated it to see what it costs, Fedor.  With 3 or 4
of them, and as many tv's that burn 50  watts when they are turned "off",
and the biggest one rarely is, its still a toss-up to me as I save all the
lives of the hard drives who don't like all that head damages from starting
and stopping.  Electricity here in coal fired WV is about 1/3rd compared to
some places like CA, which has had a nimby attitude about power plant
construction for the last 50 years.  We get billed by-monthly and the only
time its over 200$ for 2 months is when the AC is going close to full time,
which it is this last couple of months.  I do kill the monitors when I walk
away though.

Estimated power draw without monitors:
This machine, 3.5TB of drives, might use 200 running watts
The router, an old x86 box, no drives, boots from a cf card, 30 watts
Shop box, 1 40Gb drive, 115 watts, old, hungry XP1400 athlon
Coco3, 6309 equipt, 3 floppies, 1 1Gb hard drive, 10 watts, mostly the HD.

The coco3 itself generates maybe 2 watts of heat.
[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)