[Coco] Decent text editor for OS9?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Apr 23 19:57:07 EDT 2010

On Friday 23 April 2010, Todd Wallace wrote:
>Hey guys,
>
>Something is wrong with my CoCo3 and it wont boot (just shows garbled
> graphics on screen).  While I look in to getting this fixed, I'm stuck in
> an emulator to do my C programming.  Before I used a text editor on a mac
> and used drivewire to transfer my test programs to the coco3 and compiled
> them.  But now I need a way to edit code in OS9 on this emulator.  Any
> recommendations? Thanks
>
>- Todd Wallace

Two common problems, Todd.  First being the memory card it yours has one, has
settled into the socket, lift it about 1/8".  I'm told that some boards have
extra long legs and can touch or short on something.

Second is corroded contacts on the gime chip and its plcc socket.  Do not try
to pry it out of the socket as that will crack the corners and half the
contact pressure will go away forever.  Get your self a "plcc" puller, the
shack used to carry them but haven't looked recently, and apply it to lift
the gime chip out of its socket.  Carefully note that one corner of the chip
has a bevel instead of a square corner, and that the socket also has a
matching beveled corner.  When re-installing the gime later, these bevels
must match as that is the way you keep the chips numbered pins connected to
the same numbered pins in the socket.

The chip is waterproof for long enough to take it to the sink and polish up
the contacts with  some toothpaste and an old tooth brush, then rinse well &
park it on a terry towel to absorb most of the water, and finish drying with
a hair drier after you have used a used toothbrush dry on the socket and
blown all the debris that dislodges away.  A wipe of alcohol (not rubbing,
use paint thinner alcohol, it is much drier) with a paper towel on those
contacts would be good too.

When everything is dry again, locate the bevels & turn the gime till they
match, and press the gime back into the socket.  It should sit with its top
nearly flush to the top of the sockets plastic, and that may take 20 pounds
or so, so be sure and support the PCB on something solid.

If that doesn't restore it, then Mark M. (Cloud9) should probably  be the
next one to look at it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)