[Coco] Stories of Internet Connections - was:Color LOGO

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Apr 3 22:27:39 EDT 2010

On Saturday 03 April 2010, Steve Bjork wrote:
>First, please change the Subject line when you change the Subject!
>
>As for Internet connections, Verizon has two services (three is you
>count dial-up) out here in Los Angeles.
>The older DLS is a dieing service with nothing but problems with their
>hardware and customer service. I have spent 9 hours over two days trying
>to get my DSL turned back on after they disconnected it by accident.
>(Then they charged me $160 for early disconnect fee.)
>
>|And there is Verizon FIOS, a bright story with 21th century technology
>
>and great customer service!
>
>FIOS is fiber optic cable to the home.  While some other services (AT&T)
>just run fiber optic cable to your neighborhood and the last few hundred
>feet via Cat 5E or 6 cable, FIOS is 100% optical to the side of your
>house.  Once there, a box splits it into Telephone, TV and Internet
>services.  Both TV and Phone services are great with better quality
>anything that else out here!
>
>While those services are great, the Internet speed is killer.  I have
>the lowest speed package at 20 mbps down and 5 mbps up and you can move
>up to 50 mbps.  (From what I understand, there are even fast speeds, if
>you ask.)
>
>The price for my bundle (all three service is about $100 per month) and
>is lower than cable's poor quality $170 for the same setup.
>
>Yes, I know it's sounds like I'm try to sell you on FIOS.  (And maybe I
>am.) But that's only because it is the first service that I ever had
>that was great from the start and it keeps getting better.  It is only
>service that feels like it's truly using 21th century technology.
>Everything works right and it's fast!
>
>But I'm not the only one in tech community that loves FIOS.  I know
>people that feel FIOS is number one factor in picking a new place to
>live.  They just will not move to a place without FIOS!
>
>By the way, I never had a service outage in the year and 1/2 that I've
>had FIOS.  Both cable and DSL would go out monthly.  FIOS just works!
>
>Steve

Humm, you must still be in that introductory price schedule.  I've heard
from several sources that once they pull up the cable & sell it to the scrap
dealers, they refuse to re-install copper, which makes sense,  but that the
package price doubles when they see they now have a captive market.

The DSL is usually the last thing to go, I have lost the POTS on several
occasions, but one leg of the circuit being open doesn't seem to slow the
DSL much if at all.  Whats far worse is an open ended T connection going on
to the next 3 pedestals, and you are just tacked in the middle between two
echos then.  Voice generally works ok, but the vswr from that T hanging off
the line at DSL carrier frequencies is a killer.

I admire you greatly Steve, but take it from an old f--t, keep your cards in
your wallet and the wallet closed and on a chain when dealing with these
people.  Those 'accounting mistakes' rarely are.  They take advantage of
folks who will just pay it & go on.  And enough will do just that to make
those mistakes a count on it part of the margin.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

appears to be a Slow/Narrow SCSI-0 Interface problem