[Coco] Stories of Internet Connections - was:Color LOGO

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Sat Apr 3 23:27:12 EDT 2010

On 4/3/2010 7:27 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Humm, you must still be in that introductory price schedule. I've heard
No, that's the current price (non-introductory)  I've been with them for
over a year and 1/2.  I could get it even lower if I was going to
sign-up again for a 1 or 2 year deal.

My wife and I move into my Mother-in-law house 2 and 1/2 years ago to
take care of her. Alzheimer has been take its toll and she need 24 care
at the time.  About month ago she got to the point that she need to be
in a care home for Alzheimer.  (She no longer could recognize her own
home that she lived in for over 50 years.)

It's time to sell the home so she there is money for her care.  My wife
and her bother were working on selling the house till it was pointed out
that the kids could buy the home and keep the 1978 tax levels that her
mom had on the home.  (1/5 the current level for the same type of house
on today's market.) So, my wife and I may buy the house and stay here.
If so, we will fix it up the and make it our own home.  Only then will I
up for a two year FIOS package and a bit of money.

> from several sources that once they pull up the cable&  sell it to the scrap
> dealers, they refuse to re-install copper, which makes sense,  but that the
> package price doubles when they see they now have a captive market.

First, the old copper lines are still there on those Utility Polls.
they are no pulling any copper since they still needed it for good old
phone service.
Some of the "old f--t" as you call them will not give up their 19th
century telephone technology.

But the copper wire is starting to die and they will need to replace it
one day.  Upgrading to fiber cable does last a bit longer and they can
carry much more in the way of services.  More services does equate to
more ways to make a profit. Can't fault them for that
> I admire you greatly Steve, but take it from an old f--t, keep your cards in
> your wallet and the wallet closed and on a chain when dealing with these
> people.  Those 'accounting mistakes' rarely are.  They take advantage of
> folks who will just pay it&  go on.  And enough will do just that to make
> those mistakes a count on it part of the margin.

As for the DSL service being disconnected by them and Verzion DSL
charging an early disconnect fee, I have not stop the fight.  I'm in a
class action right now and should get my fees back and a bit more.

It should be noted that I dislike Verizon over the DSL disconnect fee
but I've gotten over it because of FIOS and its customer service is a
class act all the way.
(FIOS group does know how bad DSL group is and do the best they can to
undo the damage they done.)

Steve