[Coco] Stories of Internet Connections

Christopher Hawks chawks at dls.net
Sat Apr 3 20:03:48 EDT 2010

J.P. Samson said the following on 04/03/2010 03:54 PM:
> On Apr. 3, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Steve Bjork wrote:
>
>> As for Internet connections, Verizon has two services (three is you
>> count dial-up) out here in Los Angeles... I have spent 9 hours over
>> two days trying to get my DSL turned back on after they disconnected
>> it by accident. (Then they charged me $160 for early disconnect fee.)
>>
>> And there is Verizon FIOS, a bright story with 21th century technology
>> and great customer service!
>
> It is interesting to read Bob van der Poel's multi-year plight to get
> something other than dial-up in the backwater he now lives.  Despite all
> the pleading with the government and various commercial providers, a
> local non-profit society was the only entity to come through:
>
> <http://www.mellowood.ca/documents/broadband/index.html>
>
> So I guess if you live in a rural area and you want fast Internet, you
> basically gotta do it yourself.

	Most of the time, but, not always. When I lived in Indiana (1995-2004, about 6
miles from New Carlisle, pop 950), I had dial-up service. Soon after we moved
back to Illinois (Harvard, pop 9500, The Milk Capitol of the World) we got
wireless broadband from dls.net. I don't live in a rural community. I live in
the country! The wireless tower that serves Harvard, Capron, and Us is about
1/2 mile away. There are three (3) houses between us and the tower. (Harvard is
about 5 miles the other way.)

	Coming up on 6 years and the worst "problem" is the occasional 15-20 seconds
to re-connect the first time I use it once every couple of months. Oh, and once
when they upgraded a server, it 'lost' my wife's password. A quick phone call
(to a human being in the US) and 5 seconds later it was fixed!

--
Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft