[Coco] Stories of Internet Connections

J.P. Samson coco+list at jeanpaulsamson.com
Sat Apr 3 16:54:00 EDT 2010

On Apr. 3, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Steve Bjork wrote:

> As for Internet connections, Verizon has two services (three is you
> count dial-up) out here in Los Angeles... I have spent 9 hours over
> two days trying to get my DSL turned back on after they disconnected
> it by accident. (Then they charged me $160 for early disconnect fee.)
>
> And there is Verizon FIOS, a bright story with 21th century
> technology and great customer service!

It is interesting to read Bob van der Poel's multi-year plight to get
something other than dial-up in the backwater he now lives.  Despite
all the pleading with the government and various commercial providers,
a local non-profit society was the only entity to come through:

<http://www.mellowood.ca/documents/broadband/index.html>

So I guess if you live in a rural area and you want fast Internet, you
basically gotta do it yourself.

-- JP