[Coco] Telnet to your CoCo.. and invite 6 of your friends

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 23:54:44 EST 2009

You are correct, OS-9 has permissions at the file system level that
can make it possible to control read/write/execute based on the
current user.  It's similar to unix without the concept of groups.
This is quite impressive for a micro operating system of the day.. DOS
had nothing of the sort.

Unfortunately, it is quite simple for one user to become another user
(in the eyes of the system).  If you let any user execute arbitrary
code, they can effectively access any part of the system.  An
environment like a BBS *should* prevent a user from doing this.
However, especially in code written in low(er) level languages like C,
pascal or assembler, it is often possible for a malicious user to
inject executable code into unexpected places.  Buffer overruns are a
classic means of causing the CPU to run foreign code, and I'd bet they
are common in OS-9 apps.  Safe coding just wasn't much of a concern
anywhere back then, especially not on a microcomputer.

Allowing a user to access an OS-9 shell is basically allowing them to
run their own code, so all bets are off if they have bad intentions.

You could probably spend a lot of time auditing system and application
code and make it pretty difficult for the user to exceed their
permissions, but as Willard mentioned the MMU in the Coco cannot
protect memory, so I think a malicious user would always be able to
circumvent controls if they had the ability to introduce executable
code.  In a Coco, all memory is considered executable if I understand
correctly, so preventing this would basically mean preventing the user
from changing anything in RAM.. not very practical.

I think it would be possible to run a pretty safe BBS on a Coco
despite these limitations.  We can filter out any control/break keys
before they reach the Coco if that is a concern (I remember trying to
get a BASIC BBS running on my Coco many, many years ago.  One of the
patches disabled break so that callers could not just stop the program
:)

-Aaron