[Coco] Telnet to your CoCo.. and invite 6 of your friends

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Sun Nov 29 00:14:49 EST 2009

Non-technical explanation from experience. tsmon watches the serial line
for input.  It then calls the login program which prompts for user-name
and password.  The password file is is in /dd/sys  It contains in this
order:
loginname,password,userid,priority,cmds_dir,home_dir,program_to_run  If
the permissions are set properly, this file can only be read by root
(userid 0),

1. User Name;  tim
2. Mypassword
3. 3  (Non-root userid)
4. 128  (any value between 1 and 255) how much cpu time he gets. 128 is
equal time with other processes.
5. /dd/cmds   ( or some other cmds dir for more security)
6. /dd/usr/tim   my home directory set such that only myself userid 3
and root can access
7. shell               (This could just as well be some other program
like a bbs front end. or the sculptor database "menu" program.

IF some thought and work is put into setting directory and file
permissions propperly os9 is more secure than any windows, very simalar
to unix.

In my case I use /t2 to connect to my system from its serial line. This
is set up with the commands in my startup file :

smode /t2 bau=6
tsmon /t2&

I then use the program "telnet BBs server" on a windows box that takes
input from the internet, and connects to the coco serial port.  So that
when I telnet to the with telnet from any box on the net I get a
connection to the coco with:

CoCo-OS9

connecting...

NitrOS-9/6809 Level 2 V3.2.8 on the Tandy Color Computer 3  2009/11/28
21:56:25

User name?: tim
Password:

Word of note here.  the original os9 login program did not echo the
password input. the current nitros09 login does, which is a security
fault and should be corrected.  I am not a programmer, any takers?

after I put in my password in this case a shell is opened.

Process #04 logged on   2009/11/28 21:58:12
Welcome!

            Welcome

      NitrOS-9  Level  2

            for the

       Color Computer 3

Shell+ v2.2a 09/11/28 21:58:12

This login can be as restrictive, or as open as you want it to be.  If
the person logging in can only run cmds and see files and dirs than you
allow them to, how would it be insecure?
Or, write your own bbs front end and start it!

Permissions of cmds in the cmds dir can be set such that only specific
cmds can be run by only user root, directories can be set such that only
the dir owner can access the dirs and files owned by that specific user ID.

I use this regularly to connect to my coco from work.

Tim Fadden