[Coco] deluxe rs232 pak / MPI

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Nov 24 21:42:49 EST 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
wrote:

[...]

>>>hmm.  I can't get the EXEC to work even when the rs232 pak is directly
>>>connected to the CoCo, no MPI.  Could this mean a bad rs232 pak?
>>
>> Good question.  Unforch I don't have a pat answer. I believe someone else
>> answered with an exec &HE010 to put it back in the rom only mode first.
>
>yes, this allowed me to access the rom's setup program.. somehow I
>missed those answers before.

So you are actually running the code in the rs232 packs rom then.  I've not
looked at that more than 2 or 3 times ever.

>>>I think I have to have the MPI's switch set to the slot my drivewire
>>>rompak is in so that the HDB DOS rom loads.
>>>Does this mean I cannot use the rs232 pak as the same time, or maybe
>>>this just means I must wire the IRQ lines together?

>>>is there a setting in NitrOS-9 to tell it to set FF7F to 00?  Would
>>>this break the drivewire rompak in another slot?  (this rom is how I
>>>am booting nitros9)
>>
>> Nitros9 normally maintains $FF7F at $33 in order to access the floppy
>> controller in the back slot.  The convention for IRQ service routines is
>> to read it, save it, and set it for the slot that this IRQ service
>> routine is preset to access its hardware at.  And when the IRQ has been
>> serviced, put the saved value back into $FF7F.
>
>The driver must assume slot 1 for the rs232 pak and manage $FF7F
>correctly, as it is working fine there now while running off the
>drivewire for disks.  I'll have to take a closer look at the driver to
>figure out how/where it's doing this.

I believe that is the case, although both the address and the slot can be
"adjusted" with the more recent versions of os9's xmode utility.

>> And I forgot that doing so also parallels all the pullup resistors, one
>> for each slots pin 8, presenting the device attempting to pull down the
>> IRQ line with perhaps more current to sink than it can do comfortably.
>>  There are 4 resistors along the front edge of the pcb in the MPI that
>> are all alike, and may be as low as 2700 ohms each, I've seen 4700's and
>> 2700's there.  It is safe to break out 3 of them, there by reducing the
>> current the IRQ asserting transistor has to sink to do its job.
>
>sounds tricky for a software guy like me..  my soldering will make you
>laugh (or cry).

Probably cry, since I've had a hot soldering iron in my hand for a living for
a little over 60 years now.  That, FWIW is why I said break them. :)

>> If the aztec supply is pulled, then it can never be used in the coco3,
>> only in the mpi.
>
>ok makes sense.  I think I'm lucky to avoid this issue for now.
>thanks for all the advice!

NP, glad I was of some assistance.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Q:	What is the difference between Texas and yogurt?
A:	Yogurt has culture.