[Coco] deluxe rs232 pak / MPI

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 21:27:02 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 November 2009, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
> wrote:

>>> The slot switch must be to the slot the pack is in at powerup unless the
>>> MPI has been jumpered.  If it has been jumpered, then the packs eprom
>>> should be pulled as there are other packs you may have plugged in that
>>> will also have that as an exec address.
>>
>>hmm.  I can't get the EXEC to work even when the rs232 pak is directly
>>connected to the CoCo, no MPI.  Could this mean a bad rs232 pak?
>>
> Good question.  Unforch I don't have a pat answer. I believe someone else
> answered with an exec &HE010 to put it back in the rom only mode first.

yes, this allowed me to access the rom's setup program.. somehow I
missed those answers before.

>>I think I have to have the MPI's switch set to the slot my drivewire
>>rompak is in so that the HDB DOS rom loads.
>>Does this mean I cannot use the rs232 pak as the same time, or maybe
>>this just means I must wire the IRQ lines together?

>>> I believe that most folks put it in the front slot, aka slot 1, byte
>>> $FF7F=00.
>>
>>is there a setting in NitrOS-9 to tell it to set FF7F to 00?  Would
>>this break the drivewire rompak in another slot?  (this rom is how I
>>am booting nitros9)
>
> Nitros9 normally maintains $FF7F at $33 in order to access the floppy
> controller in the back slot.  The convention for IRQ service routines is to
> read it, save it, and set it for the slot that this IRQ service routine is
> preset to access its hardware at.  And when the IRQ has been serviced, put
> the saved value back into $FF7F.

The driver must assume slot 1 for the rs232 pak and manage $FF7F
correctly, as it is working fine there now while running off the
drivewire for disks.  I'll have to take a closer look at the driver to
figure out how/where it's doing this.

>>> Mine has been so wired for about 22 years, excellent idea if for no other
>>> reason than all IRQ's _do_ get through to the cpu.  In your case, it
>>> sounds like the IRQ from data rx'd may have gotten through, but the slot
>>> switch, or the logic at $FF7F, is preventing the IRQ service routine from
>>> accessing the pack, which in turn clears the IRQ, so you effectively have
>>> an IRQ stuck on.
>
> And I forgot that doing so also parallels all the pullup resistors, one for
> each slots pin 8, presenting the device attempting to pull down the IRQ line
> with perhaps more current to sink than it can do comfortably.  There are 4
> resistors along the front edge of the pcb in the MPI that are all alike, and
> may be as low as 2700 ohms each, I've seen 4700's and 2700's there.  It is
> safe to break out 3 of them, there by reducing the current the IRQ asserting
> transistor has to sink to do its job.

sounds tricky for a software guy like me..  my soldering will make you
laugh (or cry).

>>> There is a possibility that the Aztec inverter supply in the pack has
>>> gone to that great retirement pasture.  Since you have the MPI, you have
>>> the plus and minus 12 volt supplies the chips need available in the mpi.
>>>  You have to remove the Aztec assembly, and wire the cards edge connector
>>> to feed those voltages in where the Aztec was feeding them.  ISTR I had
>>> to superglue a couple of strips of thin copper plate into the blank
>>> spaces to do that. PITA, but it works for me, and has been for at least a
>>> decade.
>>>
>>> That rewired pack will NOT work in a coco3, as the coco3 has no -12 volt
>>> line at all, and the load on the +12 line may be the straw that writes
>>> fini to the coco3's power transformer if its not actively cooled.
>>
>>I guess that option is out, I am using a coco3.   But does that mean I
>>could never use the rs232 pak on a coco3, since the coco3 have no -12v
>>line?  sorry if I'm being dense.
>
> If the aztec supply is pulled, then it can never be used in the coco3, only
> in the mpi.

ok makes sense.  I think I'm lucky to avoid this issue for now.
thanks for all the advice!