[Coco] Caring for a CoCo

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Wed Nov 18 16:20:48 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Wolfe"

> Hi,
> <snip>
> Are there any tips for running an old Coco as "safely" as possible?
> They seem to get pretty warm along the top side where the vents are,
> especially my 6309/512k upgraded model.  Would removing the shell
> improve cooling?  Possibly cutting a hole and installing a small fan?
> Are the components designed well enough for 24/7 operation in general,
> and does this raise any special concerns?
>
> Thanks for any tips
> -Aaron

I have one CoCo 3 that I installed a Pentium 1 fan in the top cover and ran
its power line to the hard drive power supply.  I had the Dragonfly fan in a
CoCo 1 but that never seemed to help, and the buzz was annoying.  I saw a
multi-pack on eBay recently that had a fan mounted to the right of the
ROM-Pack slots.

In all truth, the Pentium 1 class CPU heatsink fan in the vents of the CoCo
3 is about all the fan any CoCo 3 can use.  Aside from the RAM we just are
not dealing with the speeds and power consumption that make for a lot of
heat.  Also, I'm given to understand that there is little reserve in the
CoCo's power supply to run a fan with.

Bruce W.