[Coco] OO programming - [Was]:Emulator

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 07:52:25 EST 2009

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, Fedor Steeman wrote:

> And that is another bone I still have to pick with you: The "C" programming
> language has not been a part of my CS education nor of any of my buddies
> that I asked. Instead, we had Java or some other OO language. One buddy, an
> engineer, even thought the notion that it was required for any IT
> professional to have had "absurd".

Personally, I find the notion of CS graduates with no practical exposure
to low-level machine issues (assembler or C) to be somewhat absurd.
Perhaps this points out the difference in concept between "IT
Professional" and "computer scientist" or "software engineer"?  It's not
my intention to be demeaning to anyone, just take this as acknowledgement
that the field has fragmented and specialized quite a bit.

> Maybe C was prevalent in education a decade or two ago, but we have moved on
> since then.

Well, "we" may have moved on, but down at the metal the machines still
work the old-fashioned way with messy things like registers, memory
references, cache-misses and the like.  I'm sure it's possible to have a
florishing career designing web sites, enterprise-level database systems,
etc. without ever being exposed to computer internals.  But, please, let's
not call that "computer science".

Just my 0.02.

Steve