[Coco] OO programming - [Was]:Emulator

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Nov 6 08:45:48 EST 2009

On Friday 06 November 2009, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, Fedor Steeman wrote:
>> And that is another bone I still have to pick with you: The "C"
>> programming language has not been a part of my CS education nor of any of
>> my buddies that I asked. Instead, we had Java or some other OO language.
>> One buddy, an engineer, even thought the notion that it was required for
>> any IT professional to have had "absurd".

I have to agree with this.

Many years ago I got into it with Paul Jerkatis, who was trying to build rzsz
on an emulator, and he could not see the simple logic in replacing a long
string of 16 single bit shifts with the carry that made up an 8 bit shift
with a tfr a,b' cleara or vice versa for the other direction.  But that made
about a 75 cps improvement in the speed of that protocol.  He finally gave up
because he wouldn't use c.prep19, and the stock c.prep falls over when the
srcs exceed about 12k.  rzsz srcs are about 33k for each.

The upshot is that the rzsz-3.36 we have today was built on my machine, using
all of the improvements to the c compiler we had.  And it runs about 440 cps
on the 6809, and about 735 cps in the 6309.  Without the optimizations, its
up against the wall at about 230 cps on the 6809.

Those optimizations were done to the output of c.pass2, before feeding it on
to the rest of the compiler.

The CS guys, and I believe Paul had a degree, were lost in assembly.
Totally.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when
you looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
		-- Poul Anderson