[Coco] Dragons

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Wed May 13 00:48:08 EDT 2009

On 5/12/09, tonym wrote:
> Yep - using that SuperDOS E6 you sent me, in an HDS (1773-based) FDC.
>
> Guess that would do it...although, even Basic disks aren't readable.
> Even a simple DIR fails. It'll format a new disk, though.
>
> Cool how that SuperDOS even had built-in support for DS/DD 80T drives!
> A simple DSKINIT 0,2,40 for example, formatted drive0, 2 sides, 40tracks,
> 360-some-odd KB!

The DragonDOS  / SuperDOS file system is not compatible with CoCo Disk
Basic.  CoCo disks have a directory on track 17, SuperDOS uses track
20 and a different format.  CoCo disks use a granule allocation scheme
(9 sectors per gran) while SuperDos can allocate single sectors.

The BASIC disk commands are also very different between the two
systems.  SuperDOS was not written by Microsoft and does not extend
Color Basic's device architecture like in the CoCo (you do not use the
OPEN command to access data files on disk).

Darren