[Coco] CoCo 3 68000/RAM board project

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Mon May 11 00:34:18 EDT 2009

James, please tell Bookworm the price for adding something like this to
a CoCo.  I don't think he caught it in your post.

Also, 1,790,000 16-bit words per second does not make for a very fast
memory interface. (Even a two decades old system.) It would had press to
get a better graphics with that slow of memory. An 800 by 600 by 256
color graphics mode would need a memory speed of 15,000,000 16-bit words
per second and triple that speed for true (24-bit) color mode.

But speed is not the only issue.  It would take 480K bytes just to
display an 800 by 600 bye 256 color screen.  There would be no room left
in the CoCo's memory to run anything but a Mega-Bug ROM game.

You could expand the memory limit while you updating the GIME to 2
megabytes since it's easy to add the extra bits to the MMU.  But you are
still limits how fast you can access the memory and a full screen update
would take 500 ms (about 1/2 second) and that makes the game frame rate
of 2 per second.  Too slow in my book.

The CoCo screen resolution was kept low not just because of the memory
limit but the speed of updating the memory.  The speed of the Coco was a
wall that I hit time and time again when creating my games for Tandy.

Steve (Z-89) Bjork