[Coco] CoCo 3 68000/RAM board project

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon May 11 09:01:38 EDT 2009

Steve

You are correct on all those issue. Improving graphics performance alone
will no make a Coco3 batter. Increasing memory for higher resolutions also
will not make a coco better. What is needed is for the internals to get
faster. Everything from the processor down to the memory interface.

WIth an FPGA, a 6809 or even a 6309 core could run as fast as 25 MHz or
more depending on the FPGA and how the core is coded. I have taken
John Kent's latest core and synthesized it alone in a XC3S500E FPGA. The
static estimated propogation delays through the chip and routing yielded a
speed of near 40MHz. Now that is a 20 times speed improvement over the
current Coco3. It also means that if you keep the same IDMA process that
the GIME uses you need 12 nS ram as your slowest speed ram. Current
GIME needs 150nS ram.

Memory issues are not to bad if I can get enoough speed todo what I want.
That way the processor will have its own 2 meg of ram and the video will
also have its own 2 meg of ram. I hope it works.

james