[Coco] [OT]T/S 1K [Was:] More ebay madness

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 26 17:17:25 EST 2009

On Monday 26 January 2009, Joel Ewy wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 25 January 2009, Ed Orbea wrote:
>>> If you thought that some of the CoCo prices are laughable, take a look
>>> at this:
>>
>> Tee tee. $5k?  Boggle...  Having once owned one of those, and finding its
>> keyboard was a 30 minute wonder, I put a TI99/4a surplus keyboard on it by
>> putting the whole thing in a bigger box, along with the 16k rampack, and
>> gave it to my kids.
>
>I still have a T/S 1K that has an aftermarket "real" keyboard and case,
>along with a box of tapes.  About twice a decade I hook it up and
>remember all that is so great about the CoCo.

Chuckle, yes, a truly excellent reminder.  I do the same occasionally, like
about once per decade, with a TI99/4a.

>> They had a blast with it, but sadly all turned out to be
>> windows users to this day.  Something in the water maybe?  Dunno, but it
>> makes me sad.
>
>Well, maybe you should have given them a CoCo!  :)

This was 4 years or more before the coco was first sold, Joel.  1978 IIRC.  I
didn't see my first one till 1984.

>> As for bidding on it, I *might* start at 50 cents.  But then I'd recall it
>> has a z80 brain & withdraw the bid.  Having written about 30k of code for
>> its z80 cpu without an assembler to hide the architectures brokenness, the
>> best I can say about the z80, and zilogs support of it, is that both were
>> at the time, badly dain bramaged.
>
>I've always thought that M'Soft's one true great contribution to
>computing was ROM BASICs for the old 8-bitters.  And with a CPU like the
>8080/Z80 a BASIC interpreter is a welcome thing...

For that beast, most assuredly, Joel.  It needed ALL the help it could get.

As for their basic's in roms, I have to agree, but they did those back when
they were still hungry and memory was 10 bucks a kilobyte, or more.  The
moose got screwed occasionally, but for the most part they followed the rules
and the code was fairly clean and concise.